[C320-list] water heater /// Try snapping the breakers to the off position

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Sat Jan 8 19:50:10 PST 2011

On our 95 320, hull # 277, we have 3 circuit breakers with buttons that we
push "in" for "ON" for power to the water heater, charger & outlets. We push
in the breaker button again "this time all the way in" for a moment that
allows the breaker (that has a spring inside) to snap all the way out for
"Off" when we rapidly remove pressure from the button "in" position.

If the breaker button is not snapping out I would repetitively push it in
deeply and release it with a snapping motion by sliding off the finger
rapidly to one side to see if one can dislodge the breaker from the "in"
position. The other breakers should behave in a like manner and allow the
breaker button & switch spring pressure to come all the way "out" to the OFF
position.

If the heater breaker has never been used, there could be some corrosion or
internal cabin dust and such "gunk" in the breaker switch that is not
allowing the button pressure spring to function. Or, there could be a
problem with the switch such as a broken button return spring and the
circuit breaker may need to be replaced. Check with West Marine or go on
line to check out the WM online store or search the Defender website for a
replacement breaker, or contact Catalina parts.

If on the other hand the button switch is returning all of the way to the
out or OFF position, then perhaps the problem may be the wire connections to
the breaker switch on the inside of the Nav electrical panel and all of the
backside switches and wiring could be inspected by unlocking the panel after
first turning off all of the 120v power to the circuit panel (could either
unplug the shore power or check to see if the main breaker in the aft port
locker may be slide to the off position. Only then should anyone open up the
circuit panel to see if all of the leads are attached to that particular
120v water heater switch.

Rick