[C320-list] Battery Replacement Choices

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 07:26:37 PST 2011

David

Try searching on the forum.  There are several conversations on battery
choice.

Folks that need lots of amp hours and have an extensive budget of boat bucks
seem to like the AGM technology.  Folks that are on a tight budget and have
more access to dockside power, find the flooded cells a vey good value.

If you go flooded, heavy duty truck batteries can be purchased for less
than $200 each.  We got ours for about $180.  Chris got his for evenlss.
Flooded cells from your friendly boating store will be significantly more,
but there are differences that may or may not be worth the price difference
to you for your type of sailing.  As an example, our truck cells have push
on caps.  The marine cells we replaced had screw on caps.  A small
difference, unless it's a deal breaker for you.

Your 6.5 years is good performance.  Ours went about 5 years.  The AGMs
should do better, but only if you match the charger to the cells and
maintain a good charging protocol.

Research is your friend in making the decision.

Good luck

Pat, 801