[C320-list] Battery selection; Questions & Answers

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Jan 31 18:56:03 PST 2011

I won't answer for Warren here, but I will say that maybe equalization is
less important on boats.

In a ground based Solar application, batteries don't move and can become
very stagnant and deposits can form on the plates leading to varying
resistances between cells.  Equalization bubbles the battery fluid to stir
it up and flake off deposits.  On a boat, they get lots of sloshing and
mixing, so it probably isn't as important.

Equalization may do some other things as well, but I'd avoid it unless you
are having trouble.  Some say 6V golfs in series/parallel arrangement may
want each of the batteries equalized to prevent them from drifting too far
apart in cell resistances, but the thinking on all this shifts a bit
depending on who you talk with and how "...retentive" they are.  :)

But to equalize, you have to have a charger that supports that feature
specifically.  You *may* need to have good ventilation, turn off all loads,
especially halogen lights as this uses a much higher charge voltage which
can damage some equipment.  I *think* but am not sure that you may need to
loosen the battery caps, and be prepared for some cleanup with an acid
neutralizer. But, the vendor would say how this is done.  None of the stock
chargers on our boats can do this, and only some of the high output
alternator/regulator systems can do this.

-Jeff