[C320-list] Overheated Engine

dluzader dluzader at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 13:37:24 PDT 2011

We can only assume that the simultaneous failures are merely
coincidental. I share Donald's suspicion that the raw water side may
have a clogged intake.  It sounds like you've already checked this,
but if not,  close the intake, remove the hose and inspect for debris.
You can crack the intake open slightly to check for water flow. If
that's the culprit, I'd throw on a new impeller even if it still looks
serviceable.  Otherwise, you have to keep swimming downstream through
the cooling system checking for clogs.
On the fresh water side, assuming that your pump is self-priming and
internally operational, I'd check the water tank vent lines and
consider removing hose connections to bleed excess air.  An actual
blockage would seem unlikely, but you never know.

Doug Luzader
Assignment
Catalina 350 #178

--