[C320-list] Overheating Engine

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jul 7 18:44:57 PDT 2011

Not to drag this out, but we had this issue a couple years ago and was getting progressively worse. It was especially hard to get a prime after cleaning the strainer.

Replaced the raw water pump assembly for about $160 and the exhaust was like a firehose by comparison. No priming issues since. It was worth the cash, and we doused the old one and a rag with WD40 and keep it in a ziplock bag as a spare as the yanmar guy suggested.

-Jeff

Joseph Aberdale <summerwind3 at comcast.net> wrote:

Hi To All,

Thanks very much for your responses which were of great help.

The raw water intake and filter were clean. I removed the water pump
output hose and started the engine. The pump put out plenty of water
and the belts are not slipping. After several starts, I learned that
if I start the engine at mid to 3/4 throttle and let it run at that
rpm for a minute, water is expelled out of the discharge hull
fitting. I can then lower the throttle and it will continue to
discharge. However, if I start the engine at a low throttle setting,
water will not discharge from the hull without revving up the engine
to at least 1/2 throttle. Is this normal?

Also, regardless of the throttle setting, water discharges from the
hull fitting in spurts EVERY OTHER SECOND - NEVER A CONTINUOUS FLOW.
Is this normal?

Regarding the fresh water failing to flow through the faucets. I
disassembled the filter by the pump and found it all clogged up with
gunk. After cleaning it and reassembling the filter, water again
refused to come through the faucet. I disassembled the filter again
and found it to be completely blocked again. I obviously have to
drain the water tanks to remove the gunk. Is using a small pump
attached to an electric drill the easiest way to do that?

Thanks again for your responses.

Bob - I sail out of Wellfleet. Cape Cod.

Joe