[C320-list] In-Mast Furling

Utility Email kswanson123 at comcast.net
Sun Jul 10 19:09:21 PDT 2011

Joe,

I really like my Selden In-Mast furler.  The system does need a little TLC relative to traaditional flaking mains. I have had both and I like the in-mast furled much better.  Here Are some answers to your questions based on my experience:

1.   When the sail is furled in as much as it's supposed to be, exactly how much of the sail should still be remaining out of the mast?

On my boat, about 8-12 inches of the clew.  This area of the sail is reinforced with UV resistant cover on my stock sail.

2.  Where is the furling line supposed go to when it leaves the corkscrew in the mast - a block on the boom?

On my boat, my furling line is a continuously spliced black 5/15 double braid line (black).  This line routes through the in-mast "corkscrew" then trough a pair of tuning blocks at the base of the mast through deck organizer sheaves built into the traveller.  Then the line routes through coachroof mounted cam cleats that I use to "lock off" the line.  The "tail" part of the continuous loop line gets tucked in the mesh sheet bag mounted to the cockpit bulkhead.

3.  While furling the sail into the mast, I have the boat heading into the wind with the sail in a luff. However, it's still very hard to haul in the sail.

On my boat, I also need to be puffing into the wind.  Directly into the wind.  It can't be too far off of center, or the level of effort to furl the sail gets very hard very fast.  Also, have a crew member keep some minimal tension on e outhaul to ensure some tension on the sail as it is being furled.  Also, with the cut of my stock sail, the boom needs to be a little above horizontal too ensure that the main sail furls flat inside the mast.  Friction in the furling system is a real energy waster and makes the furling system require more effort.  Zo, it is important to make sure that the furling and outhaul lines are supple, And that all of the blocks are well lubricated, as well as the in-mast furled bearings.

Hopefully, this information is helpful.  Good luck.

Dave

Dave Swanson
S/V Emily Ann
2007 C320 MK II, No. 1107