[C320-list] Raymarine SPX5 Installation

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Thu Jul 14 05:15:35 PDT 2011

I agree with trying a electronics/tv repair shop. It's possible that the damaged is limited to this transistor, which is probably a discrete part that can have a new one soldered in place. Its probably a power transistor for the drive system if RayMarine said its a blown field effect transistor.

What I would do is take with you some info about the pinout/operating voltages of the unit so they can do some tests. RayMarine could supply some testing procedures for the tech.

Jeff

Stephen Cox <scox at timmin.com> wrote:

> My 10 year old ST4000 has a blown FET and since it's
> "retired" (I should be so lucky) they won't do any repairs on it.
>
> a) does anybody know of a repair depot aside from Raymarine
> that still works on these (did a google search to no avail)?
>
> b) Has anybody done this installation and have any helpful
> tips about location of the core computer (the head will go
> where the old head was-I hope)?

Jim,

If it's a blown FET, any TV repair shop (assuming such things still exist in
your area) should be able to replace it.

Stephen Cox
Tegwen #1141