[C320-list] PLEASE SUGGEST BATTERY REPLACEMENT

Albrecht, Alan Alan.Albrecht at Williams.com
Fri Jul 15 09:59:47 PDT 2011

You can also increase your bang for the buck by looking for a local source of reconditioned/rebuilt AGM batteries.

-----Original Message-----
From: c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com [mailto:c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com] On Behalf Of Jeff Hare
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 8:06 AM
To: C320-List at Catalina320.com
Subject: Re: [C320-list] PLEASE SUGGEST BATTERY REPLACEMENT

No worries about charge rate with AGMs. It's just that they can charge much faster if current is available. AGMs charge fine with wet cell settings. AGMs are expensive but are much better for boats that may sit unattended on a mooring or are laid up for months at a time because without any charge source since they'll still be fully charged 7 or 8 months later and cannot freeze.

Remember 30a shore power charger is limited to 10amps/leg anyway.

If you go with golf carts, be diligent about keeping the terminals / connections clean. Any corrosion on the contact points are what prevent full charges and prevent using the true capacity here. You have to unhook the cable to check for clean mating surfaces.

In order of preference/reliability excluding cost, I like AGMs, true deep cycles 4Ds, truck batteries, golfs, and gel cells last. Truck batteries and golfs provide the best bang for the buck. True deep cycles I only recommend if you have a separate starting battery, because they are the least likely to start your engine when drawn down below 60%, even though they would power other loads for many hours.

-jeff

LOCALJG at aol.com wrote:

If you go with AGMs, be sure to do your research as you may also have to
have a larger alternator. I have been told that unless you charge an AGM at
a certain rate, they can be damaged or not fully charge? Last year, when
I was looking into AGMs (and AGMs were the way I wanted to originally go),
I was told about the recharging issue with them. I can't remember exactly
what the facts were but because of the recharging issues and needing a
bigger alternator, I decided to go with the golf cart batteries. Golf cart
batteries keep it simple.

John
Dreamtime #329
Coronado

In a message dated 7/14/2011 2:25:07 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,