[C320-list] helix mooring anchor

Charles Greenwell CGreenwell at sparusa.com
Tue Jul 19 06:20:12 PDT 2011

Hi John,

I manage our marina in Lake Ogelton, just off the Severn River in
Annapolis.  We have a mooring field using helix anchors which was put
into place in 1996.  The moorings were used successfully during
hurricane Isabel with boats as large as 40 feet.  The only issue that
you need to worry about is replacing the chain.  We find it necessary to
replace the chain every 3 to 4 years to ensure safety.

The moorings are in about 10 feet of water.  They have 20 feet of 5/8
inch chain attached between the helix head and the mooring ball.

We use Up the Creek diving to maintain the moorings.  Charlie Giles is
the owner.  He also installs new helix moorings and has done so for many
of my friends.  He comes highly recommended.  He can be reached via
email at cgilless at msn.com or:

Charlie & Kathy Gilless
Up the Creek Diving
C-410-320-4798