[C320-list] Electrical Question

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Sun Jul 24 07:56:02 PDT 2011

I may be mistaken, but I don't believe you are supposed to have more than one GFCI on a given circuit. Generally you install one to protect the outlets down stream.

Given that the boat should be wired correctly, its probably safe but a qualified electrician may need to step in and provide an educated answer.

-jeff

"Kurt R. Budelmann, M.D." <krbmd77 at charter.net> wrote:

My marina has GFI circuit breakers for my shore connection. When I plug into shore power and flip on the main transom 30 amp breaker all is well. But, when I either flip the test polarity switch to make sure it is working or I flip the AC panel breaker with every other breaker off, the GFI shore breaker trips. Neither of my two breakers trip.

I plugged into a non-GFI shore outlet (I swapped it in the breaker box on shore) and everything works well.

I believe the issue is a ground problem on the boat as the current I draw when running everything except the water heater is less than 1 amp when plugged into a non-GFI shore breaker.

Has anyone else experienced this problem and any suggestions on how to fix this?

I hired the marine electrician from the largest nearby marina and he claimed that it is a problem with boats and GFI breakers. His facility does not use any GFI breakers and they have hundreds of boats, some even over 100 feet.

__
Kurt Budelmann
Everwind, Catalina 320 #1035