[C320-list] Tether padeye locations

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Fri Jun 3 16:11:57 PDT 2011

Hello Alan,

   First, I'd say you wouldn't really have to worry about through bolting a
padeye at the companionway causing any sort of deck failure.   I don't know
what the coring is here, but catalina could confirm whether it's solid or
there's balsa coring or an air gap within that space.

With that said,  we installed Padeyes in convenient places that we think is
both easier to install and a little more practical I think.   The lower
section of the Port side bench in the cockpit makes a good place for
padeyes.  It is conveniently accessible to thru-bolt and strong with proper
backing plate.  It looks clean and folding padeyes stay out of the way.  You
can easily reach these while still on the ladder, and allows you pretty-much
full access to the cockpit once clipped in, including behind the wheel with
a standard tether without needing to reclip anywhere or having the tether
interfere with steering.   It's easy to install 2 or 3 padeyes here for
crew, kids or non-swimmers.

An additional spot we like is the AFT end of the same port locker.  It makes
a good spot to clip into for extended duty on the helm since you're not
tripping anyone and preventing wiseguys from yanking on your tether..  :)

-Jeff