[C320-list] Wet Bilge due to packing gland. Normal?

danny jensen danny at jensenshouse.com
Thu Jun 23 07:08:19 PDT 2011

I have a standard packing gland on a 2004 catalina 320. I just purchased
the boat and found the bilge pump turning on a few times a night. Then I
made the packing gland adjustment per the owners manual where I get
about 3 drips per minute from the prop shaft. I dried out both the
shallow builge aft of the deep builge. I also dried out the hull area
under the floor boards that drains into the aft shallow bilge just aft
of the shallow builge next to the head by uncrewing the narrow floor
board in aft of the bilge floor board. I was still getting water flowing
into the shallow bilge after making the packing gland adjustment to 3
drips / minuite. Then, I drained all the water from the forward and aft
water tanks and turned off all the thu hulls and put a drip pan under
the prop shaft. The bilge was bone dry for 24 hrs! To my surprise I
measured 1 cup (8 oz) of water in a 24 hr period coming from the prop
shaft that is dripping a about 3 drops / minute in to my drip pan. This
means that the packing gland is responsible for pouring about 3.5
gallons of salt water into the bilge each month.  Am I correct in
assuming it is normal to have water in the shallow aft bilge then
spilling over to the deeper forward bilge for all C320 with packing
glands? Or are my 3 drips / minute really big drips?

Danny C320 hull #972

A BOA VIDA