[C320-list] helm accessible winches-Wireless Autopilot Instead

Robert E. Sloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Jun 15 19:46:40 PDT 2011

Nat-I have a 2002 C320 hull 894 and do a reasonable amount of either solo
sailing or sailing where I do everything.  I can imagine the expense and the
look of the cockpit with extra winches.

I have an autopilot, so sail adjustment is a little easier with the
autopilot on.  When the autopilot is on, rather than make sail adjustments
and run around behind the helm to look at the speed and wind instruments to
check on things, I installed a Raymarine wireless autopilot controller on my
boat which has repeater capabilities.  It is the SmartController model which
is the larger of the 2 offered for my 4000+ autopilot and has a fairly large
screen that functions as a repeater for up to four readings from the helm.
I use speed through the water, apparent wind speed and angle and boat
heading.  It is hung in its holder underneath the dodger using a heavy duty
towel clip attached to the dodger frame.  Near the dodger it can be easily
seen from both the primaries and halyard winches and the traveler sheets and
it self levels in its holder.  So, from the cockpit with the autopilot on, I
make adjustments from the close at hand winches or the traveler and check
the autopilot screen for speed and apparent wind angle without going to the
helm.  Steering changes are easily made with the wireless autopilot from the
dodger.  You can easily grab the wireless controller take it with you if you
move to one of the stern seats and really want to be lazy.

I thought about installing a Raymarine repeater somewhere under the dodger,
but could not find any location where the necessary wires would  be hidden,
the repeater would be out of the way of halyards or people going into the
cabin and the installation would have a good look.  I didn't want a repeater
on the mast.

If things pipe up its back to the helm with occasional adjustments.  I
lengthened the traveler sheets so they reach the helm so you can dump the
main with the traveler if needed.

Bob Sloat
Savannah Hull 894