[C320-list] Light wind performance

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Mon Jun 20 05:56:50 PDT 2011

We noticed a slightly smoother lighter helm under sail also. The 3-blade prop causes some rudder turbulence that we could feel but folding blades don't.

And we also sail along making progress when the sails used to just slat before. My wife was especially happy b/c she hates the engine.

-jeff

Brad Kuether <bkuether at comcast.net> wrote:

I had the opportunity to really try out the new Flex O Fold prop today. Forecast was 5 to 10 and spent most of the time down around 5.

Not what I was looking for but on Fathers day, but hey, if there is any wind you take it!!!!

All through the day the boat kept moving. Sometimes it was painfully slow, but MOVING. I have had instances in the past two years where around 3 or 4 kts, the boat just STOPS. Didn't happen today.

The best moment was when a Hunter 335 going the same direction back to the river did exactly that. Stopped.

With the folding prop this boat has acceptable light wind performance.

If anyone is interested in doing a 320/folding prop "try before you buy" let me know. My family doesn't quite appreciate the same way I do... :)

-Brad, Mary, Monica, and Jarod
"Independence"
2004 Catalina 320 Hull 1006
Middle River, MD