[C320-list] Jacklines

Jerry jbrown03 at sympatico.ca
Tue Mar 1 13:23:44 PST 2011

Hi

I had my local sailmaker make up two flat jacklines (approx 35ft) from
aircraft high strength non stretch webbing with a stitched loop at one end
which I place on the bow cleat at one end and then cleat up tp the stern
cleat at the other.  After discussion with the sailmaker and others with
jacklines, I opted for flat lines rather than round so that they could not
roll under my foot in difficult conditions.  I completed one blue water trip
in the Atlantic in February on a racing yacht with round jacklines and found
them a hazard if I stepped on them.  The operators of the boat were in fact
in the process of changing to flat jack lines across their fleet for that
reason.

I fully agree that this is not an area to cut costs on.  I also had an
elasticated tether made by the same sailmakers with pelicans etc.  The
elasticated tether works well when I need to detach as it is short enough
not to catch in my feet etc.

Regards

Jerry Brown
Indigo #1137