[C320-list] weeping strut shows at haul out

Dennis Harris dharris02 at suddenlink.net
Mon Mar 7 07:22:14 PST 2011

Nat,

I have a 2000 C 320 (#694), which on the last haul out, had weeping on the
hull just forward of the propeller strut.  My shaft did not have any
movement and there was no leaking on the inside of the boat.  On my model,
the four strut bolts (located under the aft bunk) are exposed and were
tight.  After consulting with yard and their fiberglass man, we decided to
grind away the immediate area where the weeping was (don't let the yard get
carried away here), and put a heat lamp on the area to dry it out.  After
some days, it eventually was dry, and we glassed in a small amount of
fiberglass cloth in the ground out area, and then added epoxy filler to fair
out the ground out section.  I won't know if the repair was successful until
next haul out, which will be spring, 2012.  It is my understanding from
looking at drawings posted on the C 320 association web site that the actual
fiberglass hull is somewhat recessed in this area to accept the shaft strut
(added after the hull has been removed from the mold) and the area is faired
with a filler after the strut is installed.  In my case, since the bolts
were tight and there was no leakage inside the boat, I suspect that there
was not a good bond between this filler and the fiberglass hull, and over
time, due to vibration in this area, that the bond was partially broken,
allowing an ingress of water...hence the weeping when the boat was pulled.
Prior to the last haul out, there was never any weeping.  You may have a
similar situation.  Good luck in getting the problem resolved.

Dennis Harris   C-320 #694 Washington, NC