[C320-list] weeping strut shows at haul out /// Here is a potential solution

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Mon Mar 7 12:03:39 PST 2011

Nate,

I experienced the same strut weeping problem on our 95 hull after 3 years of
service (and a fouled dock line). The insurance company covered the accident
and I ended up with a stainless shaft and rebalanced prop. The yard lightly
grinded out the immediate area surrounding the strut and they then rewrapped
the strut where it enters the hull and used some fairing material to seal it
all off.

The repair worked for about 2 years and then the weeping reappeared. This
time I left the strut to dry out over the winter layup and in the spring I
went under the bunk and "snugged" the strut bolt nuts. I then placed a
several beads of 3M 4000 (flexible adhesive) around the strut to hull joint
and that solved the problem. Apparently the vibration caused the hard
sealant to fail and water entered wherever there was a void. For the first
couple of years after the 3M 4000 solution I would pull away the sealant at
haul out and then check to see if it started weeping again, but did not see
any more evidence of a broken seal. Now I remove the sealant every 2-3 years
at haul out to check and then reseal before launch. I do not have any
blistering on the hull after 16 seasons.

Sometimes there is a simpler and less costly solution to what could be a
larger yard expense and this solution would not muster the pocketbook test
at some yards. Providing that you do not already have blistering in the
strut area you may luck out with a flexible adhesive solution. Be sure to
check if the strut bolts (actually strut nuts) can be tweaked (or creaked)
to know that everything is tight. If the weeping is NOT Clear Water ( but
rather looks discolored) then there is a larger problem with some degrading
due to water intrusion penetrating deeper into the strut joint.

Rick
My-Ria #277