[C320-list] Ball valve under the sink

John Frost john at frostnet.net
Wed Mar 16 16:48:01 PDT 2011

The handle mechanism on my holding tank thru hull came off and almost sank
us. The entire mechanism cracked and came off and water shot in on a two
year old boat. The resulting hole was very irregular and I had a heck of a
time slowing the water entry. (A handful of play dough would have been
wonderful)

Post event, Forespar was helpful and shipped me a new one but said it had
never happened before.
I dug into it and they are properly certified to a tuff standard so I can't
imagine there being a design problem.

I chalked mine up to some unusual loading on the handle being induced by my
zip tieing the handle to an adjacent hose to show that
it was not dumping overboard. Nothing touches my handles now.

Our story turned out fine because of a few good luck events.
1. I had finally gotten around to replacing my defective bilge pump the week
before
2. Our marina's lift, which had been broken for weeks, had just been
repaired
3. Our marina operator was sitting at the clubhouse with his cell phone
ready to respond to my urgent plea to be ready for an emergency extraction.
4. My wife was ready to bring us in thru traffic at near full throttle while
I fought the stream of water trying to fill the bilge

By the way

Happy Sailing!

John
2007 C320MKII