[C320-list] Boarded by the Coast Guard

Ray Durand durand.mail at verizon.net
Sun May 8 08:58:02 PDT 2011

As I was leaving Avalon Harbor (Catalina Island) a few days ago, I noticed a
Coast Guard boat just outside the breakwater.  Sure enough, a dinghy with 4
or 5 guardsmen approached our boat and they asked when was the last time I
had been inspected.  It was about 4-5 years since this last happened to us.
Two guardsmen came aboard.  FYI - here's what they wanted to see:

Fire extinguishers

Flares (they checked the dates)

Bilge

Placards re oil and trash disposal

Registration

ID (driver license)

They also wanted to see that my holding tank through hull valve was closed.

Last time this happened to me, my flares were out of date.  They wrote me up
and I had to send in proof that I had purchased new flares.  There wasn't
any penalty associated with this.

Ray Durand, #822

Marina del Rey, CA