[C320-list] Has anyone had a Meg Test done on their Shore Power

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Mon May 2 05:21:17 PDT 2011

Interesting. Sounds something like a Hi-Pot test to me which is intended to test the integrity of the insulation on motor and transformer based devices.

If you ask me he's either trolling for more money or uninformed because nothing in the explaination you shared with us relates to a entire wiring system like the AC system on a boat. It would be expensive and requires disconnecting/reconnecting AC devices like charger etc.. You'd do as well with a simple resistance test or visual inspection of the few outlets and AC connections if he's looking for corrosion.

-jeff

Annie Bennett <annie at sydneyprivatesailing.com.au> wrote:

Just had my annual survey inspection for survey by NSW Maritime. The surveyor said because the boat has 240 volt shore power that even though the boat lives on a mooring and I don't normally use the shore power, that I need produce a signed report from an electrician showing the boat has passed its megger insulation test. The marina's put me in touch with an electrician who said:- > "it is a test where you have a meg tester that sends 30000 volts down a power line and tests the cables continuity , ohm and corrosion thru a given circuit. It also check for earth or cable breakages. > > This test is usually done on power tools and industrial equipment then signed off as being acceptable to use. > > I am able to organise this test to be done on your boat thru your 240V and shore power system. > > I have not herd of any boats ever needing this test done before, although i am able to organise a meg tester and a certified person to sign the boat off if needed." > It's the first time I've been asked for this test. Just curious if anyone else has ever had to have this done. It sounds sensible on the basis the surveyor said a problem with the 12 volt system won't kill you but a problem with the 240 volt will kill you. I hope this test won't cause any damage to anything? Can it be done out on the mooring or will the boat need to be in the marina plugged in to shore power? Annie Bennett 1073