[C320-list] Gate Screws

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Tue May 3 18:09:57 PDT 2011

Chuck - I did a similar thing.

Except I drilled them and re-tapped them to a more common size and pitch.
So, Instead of Philips screws I use stainless Hex head cap bolts.

The sizes I use is exactly the same as found on the standard 1" bullet Shaft
Zincs I use each year, so I always have 4 more to add to my collection each
spring when I replaces the zincs.   I just clean them up and toss them in my
SS hardware collection.  I put some Tef-Gel on the threads to prevent them
from corroding and I can easily tighten/loosen them with my fingers all
season, or with pliers or hex wrench if necessary.  They don't seem to need
to be very tight to do the job.  The best part is that they're free, or
$0.20 at just about any hardware store.

My spring ritual is to walk around the marina yard and collect all the
stainless hardware that people drop or discard.  I always seem to collect a
couple handfuls of commonly used SS nuts/bolts/washers/screws.

So, I never need to worry about dropping one over the side (which I seem to
have become quite skilled at doing).

-Jeff