[C320-list] Hatch Boards

Brian/Carol McLamb bjcnmclamb at gmail.com
Sun May 8 10:23:56 PDT 2011

I have maintained the originals with 2 simple solutions thanks to my wife!
1) We had the local sail maker come and measure the opening of the companion
way.  They then took matching Sunbrella fabric and made two covers for us
that snap at the top of the sliding hatch and base of the cockpit.  One has
"screen" material so we can allow air flow at anchor, and hear each other
while sailing if someone is below.  The other has the same plastic window
(like the dodger) so we can have light below by day and roll down the outer
canvas piece to close it for blocking light. 2)She purchased a few yards of
Sunbrella fabric to match the dodger/bimini.   Then she sewed a sleeve that
fit all three of the companionway boards into the one pocket.  The opening
at the top has two long strips (like a shopping bag) with velcro.  This
allows me to slide them in the sleeve and then the entire "pocket" slide
easily without scratching the bulkhead adjacent to the aft stateroom and the
engine box.  This allows me to use the hatch boards, and snap on the
Subrella cover (either screen or plastic) with the outer fabric piece rolled
down.  Thsi has protected hatch boards from UV and weathering.

BJ S/V Serenity s# 1075