[C320-list] Exhaust leak

Paul Rickman ilove2sail at verizon.net
Fri May 13 06:20:07 PDT 2011

Some of you have had issues with the Catalina muffler. As I recall
each one detected a leak because you found water around the muffler,
and therefore, found a crack. I have a new gasket on the manifold,
a new exhaust hose, and a new Catalina style (riser where the water
gets injected into the exhaust). I have removed the muffler and
could not find any cracks and I do not detect any water around the
muffler. I have removed the muffler drain and replaced it with a bolt
plug (the old drain was leaking exhaust only, no water). After all
this, I still smell exhaust in the master cabin. I can also see exhaust
smoke in the engine compartment, on the sides, on the motor,
and on the forward cover - not so much on the aft cover and next to
nothing on the muffler. All connections are tight.  My next move will be
to remove the muffler, fill it with water to see if it leaks.

Any ideas???

Thanks,
Paul
Affinity 657