[C320-list] ST50 Speed and Wind

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Fri May 13 11:57:40 PDT 2011

Save yourself a trip. Go up with a 50' piece of line or string and send it down for someone to soak for a few minutes. You'll want to have the tiny allen wrench on hand to remove the wind direction and speed cups. Then the unit will be able to be soaked with far less WD 40. I found a can of it that wasn't a spray can and dumped the stuff back in the can when I was done.

Jason Alexander <alexander.jason at gmail.com> wrote:

Ok. Well I guess it's a couple trips up the mast for me. UGG I hate doing that. Jason On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 2:30 PM, Jeff Hare <catalina at thehares.com> wrote: > That's exactly what the raymarine repair guys did to mine when they replaced a broken pin on the connector several years ago. > > They soaked it in a bowl of WD40. > > Jon Vez <jonvez at comcast.net> wrote: > > Jason, For the wind speed sensor--remove it from the mast head and soak it in WD-40 for about 10 minutes. I was given this solution to try from Ray Marine before I sent it in a couple of years ago and it did the trick... Jon Vez -----Original Message----- From: c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com [mailto:c320-list-bounces at lists.catalina320.com] On Behalf Of Jason Alexander Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2011 6:49 PM To: C320-List at Catalina320.com Subject: [C320-list] ST50 Speed and Wind Hi all, Got a couple issues with my ST50 gear on my boat. First the speed sensor. This past weekend I was having some issues with speed sensor running slow. Seeing that it was working just fine when I put it back in the water a few weeks I figured that I would just pull it and see if it was fouled. So I pulled the hatch board and unscrewed the sensor and pulled it from the hull and I was surprised by a 2 foot gusher coming up at my face. Isn't there supposed to be a flap to slow the water. If not how is the best way to keep the flooding to a minimum. Second my wind speed sensor seems to be sticking. If the wind is light it doesn't spin. Is there some user maintenance I can do. If not will a ST60 sensor connect to the mast head connector. I already have to ST60 heads at the pedestal so calibration won't be an issue. Thanks Jason= > >