[C320-list] Mast Top Shroud Exit

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Mon May 23 13:10:12 PDT 2011

It's as Jeff said, "The drain (is) on he AFT side of the mast step.  (Where)
there is a U shaped bale hooked into the aft side of the mast step.  If you
were able to remove the mast step, you'd see  drain channel cast into this
plate that leads to the place where this bail attaches."

You can't see the drain channel directly.  It's in behind the bale at the
back of the deck plate and rests on the deck.  You should be able to push a
coat hanger in behind the bale and find the drain channel.  From there it
will stop just short of the rear of the mast.  If it is blocked and there is
water built-up inside the mast, you should see it run out at this point. You
may have to work at the debris to break it up and have it run out the drain.
Otherwise, it will just collect again and block the drain.  If you get that
far, use a hose with a pressure nozzle to force water in there.  As long as
it flows freely out of the space in the back of the deck plate, you should
be ok.  You do have to flush this out periodically or it will block again.

In my previous post, I should have explained that once the mast blocks
lockup and won't rotate, they can be very difficult to remove.  I did ruin
one block in an effort to unscrew it.  This in spite of numerous treatments
with PB-blaster.  I was fortunate to have found two replacements at a swap
meet.  They are expensive.  I won't let this happen again.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"