[C320-list] Propane Detector

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Thu May 26 10:26:34 PDT 2011

I think you're right there. It's probably the same on ours, I was just confusing the 2 drain systems. I do recall trying different things to let this line drain, and wasn't completely successful.

-jeff

Scott Thompson <surprise at thompson87.com> wrote:

This may be a difference between older and newer boats then. I'm pretty certain that the propane locker drain on my 1999 boat has it's own separate thru-hull fitting on the transom, and does not share this with the cockpit drains. On 5/24/2011 2:02 PM, Jeff Hare wrote: > The length isn't the problem unfortunately. > > The problem is the transom drain fittings. The transom slopes away > from the water at less than 90 degrees, meaning that the hose barb > on the inside is sloping down, not up or level. So any rainwater, > seawater or water from the cockpit drains will mostly drain out but > leaves enough in the lines to block propane gas from draining out. > > I'll look at it next time I'm there but I recall that it was not > simple to correct. If it had its own thruhull it could be made to > work better I think. > > Chris Burti<clburti at gmail.com> wrote: > > Why don't you shorten it? On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Jeff > Hare<catalina at thehares.com> wrote:> Right. The drain is not > functional as it always has a water block in it, on our hull #809 > anyway. It's a design flaw.> > Pat Ireland<cherie320 at gmail.com> > wrote:> > So The other propane locker story is that the drain line > may be a bit too long. If it is, it forms a P-trap which holds water > and blocks the venting of the box. Pat 801 On Sun, May 22, 2011 at > 12:06 PM, Jeff Hare<catalina at thehares.com> wrote:> I meant to > mention that the surveyor we spoke with said for detection to be> > effective we'd need a couple of them, one in the "black hole" port > aft> locker and one up below the stove.> > For what that's > worth.> >> Jeff Hare<catalina at thehares.com> wrote:> > We investigated this > initially and came to the conclusion that it wasn't> really > necessary. The propane tank locker is pretty small and not open to> > the interior. There is the tank shutoff, followed by the solenoid > which has> a visible indicator inside telling you when it is > powered. The supply hose> to the stove seems well placed and > unlikely to have an leak that would go> undetected. -jeff Donald > Lawson<dnclaws at aol.com> wrote: We are new owners> of Catalina 320 > #1005. My last boat had CNG as opposed to Propane. The boat> does > not have a propane detector and I am leery of this. Has anyone> > installed one and where? Battery or wired in? Don and Cindy Lawson > Mandolin> Wind #1005> > > > -- Chris Burti Farmville, NC > -- Scott Thompson Surprise, #653