[C320-list] fin vs. wing keel

Gene Helfman genehelfman at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 09:03:00 PDT 2011

Many thanks to all of you for your input on fin vs. wing keels.  Our first
impression is people love their 320s, regardless.  This affirms our
interest in the design.  Second, we have rethought our decision with more
regard to where we go and what is required.  Shallower draft has been an
issue primarily during haulout, something we should be able to work around.
 Otherwise, our cruising here in the PNW is to destinations with lots of
water.  Our one grounding (so far) involved anchoring and miscalculating
water depth under our 4'10" keel at low tide (ok, and drifting over a rock
as tide went out), something that would have put us on the bottom with even
less draft.
     Bottom line (forgive the pun): we are broadening our search to include
fin keel models, which expands the market considerably.

gene
--
Gene Helfman, Professor Emeritus
Odum School of Ecology, University of Georgia
    genehelfman at gmail.com

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day,
Teach a man to fish and he'll deplete the
      oceans."

The Book of Bob, Ironies 24:7