[C320-list] Flexible coupler effectiveness?

Shawn Maloney smaloney1 at cogeco.ca
Sun Nov 6 08:00:43 PST 2011

I have a Perkins engine in my 93 C320.  Though these engines are tough and
reliable, they are not as smooth as the Yanmar.  I have 2100 hours and plan
to replace the cutlass bearing as a maintenance item.  At the same time I
may consider a stainless steel shaft ( as some have done on this list) and I
am considering adding a flexible coupler.  It seems that the coupler is
about 1 ¼ inches thick and I would resize the shaft to compensate for this.

I would like to hear any comments as to the effectiveness of the coupler at
reducing vibrations and adjusting for alignment issues.  Thanks

Shawn Maloney

Hull #14