[C320-list] Raw Water Pump Rebuild (Perkins)

Warren Updike wupdike at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 16 11:55:08 PST 2011

This applies to the older hulls with the Perkins M30 engine.  The raw water
pump is Jabsco 29450-1101.

My engine has over 1,800 hours and the pump has been leaking past the
water-side lip seal for years.  I was planning on rebuilding it myself and
had disassembled it myself except for the bearings when I called Depco Pump
in Clearwater, FL to inquire about a rebuild kit.  The kit (without the
shaft) is about $125.  I was told that it is a simple pump and their shop
can rebuild it for about $50 plus parts.  I decided to send them my pump.

Got a call today.  The pump needs a new shaft due to the wear from the lip
seal.  I priced the shaft previously at about $130 at another source.  The
bearings, they tell me do not need to be replaced.  Bottom line: rebuild
including shaft, seals, cam, cover, screws, gasket, and impeller will be
$267.25.  A good deal considering the parts and shaft would have cost
approx. $230, and a new pump over $400.

Depcopump.com has great reference material on all sorts of pumps incl. parts
diagrams.  Check it out.

Warren & Pattie Updike

1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"