[C320-list] Engine/Fuel Issue with my 2001 Yanmar

Karl Mielenhausen kmielen at suddenlink.net
Fri Nov 11 09:43:20 PST 2011

Just attended a diesel maintenance seminar conducted by our yacht club. The
mechanic (Harvey Smith, who some of you may know from when he had a
business on the Chesapeake) indicated Tom's problem might be algae in the
fuel tank. Algae tends to clump together and might be restricting flow at
the pickup tube.
Engine stops, fuel line suction drops, algae falls away, engine can be
restarted.
Just something else to check.

Also, he cautioned against any fuel additive containing alcohol. He has
seen premature failures of the lift pumps as a result of alcohol as well as
ultra low sulfur fuel. He said to open on of the bleed points and manually
pump the lift pump. Should get a good gush of fuel with each stroke. If
not, it may be starting to fail.

Lastly, Harvey said he was seeing more injector problems due to the Ultra
Low Sulfur Fuel and to use a lubricity additive (make sure it
does not contain alcohol).

Karl