[C320-list] Jam Cleats

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Sat Nov 12 06:24:16 PST 2011

David,

Suggest leaving all cleats closed.

Given the number of gale force winds we often experience on Lake Erie within
a 6 month sailing season, we make it a practice to always leave the boat
with all lines and running rigging secured to withstand a blow. We always
tie off the furler drum to the bow pulpit to prohibit the slightest rotation
and that allows us to leave the jib lines slightly relaxed but with enough
tension on the jib winches to avoid chaffing against the standing rigging.

Over the years in our marina we have observed boats that were left
improperly secured and that resulted in headsails that were partially
inflated before being ripped open, main sail and other canvas covers etc.
parting ways and halyards becoming snarled in the rigging when not securely
tied down.

The cost of line replacement is so small compared to the other potential
losses. For example, over 16 seasons we replaced the main halyard once, the
furling line twice and the Dutchman/topping lift continuous line once. The
boom reefing line is due to be replaced in the spring. The jib sheet lines
may need to be replaced over the next couple of years.

Rick
My-Ria #277