[C320-list] jam cleat replacement

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Nov 29 15:30:35 PST 2011

Warren,

Checkout the www.catalina320.com website. I posted a quick article with a picture that shows the purpose of the red gate on the clam cleat.

That red "keeper" isn't for running a line through!!

Here's how you use it:

1) Remove the line from the jam cleat.
2) Flip that red thing up and it sits down over the top of the jam cleat and *prevents/blocks* the line from accidentally dropping in and jamming. It's the opposite of a keeper.

It's a lockout device.

It's a safety feature!

Cheers!
Jeff

Warren Updike <wupdike at hotmail.com> wrote:

Quite a story, Fred. One thing I did was to remove the red keeper over the
jam cleat. This lets me easily transfer the sheet from the cleat to the
winch. If the sheet is in the cleat and wind picks up, I just transfer the
tail to the winch, give a crank, and the sheet pops out of the cleat and is
tended on the winch. With the keeper intact, you can't do this.

Also, furling, reefing, life jackets, jack lines, etc.: rule is the first
time it pops into your mind, that's the time you should do it. Any time
later is often too late, or much more difficult.

Warren & Pattie Updike
1994 C320 #62 "Warr De Mar"