[C320-list] Oil change on the hard

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Tue Oct 18 14:21:36 PDT 2011

Bob,

That's what I do. The best thing is to have a shutoff on the end of the hose that let's you adjust the water flow so that it doesn't overall the bucket or not fill it fast enough.

I run my engine for ~30 minutes that way and then shut off the water, when the bucket is empty, start pouring 3 gals of rv antifreeze. When that's gone I run the engine for about 20 seconds after the water stops coming out the exhaust. Then I usually find the exhaust is empty and nothing left to drain from the muffler.

The rv antifreeze lubricates the impeller so no worries about the short time without water.

-jeff

Robert Seastream <robert.seastream at comcast.net> wrote:

My alternative was to provide water via a bucket in the cockpit with a
hose leading down to a T fitting I installed inline with the raw water
intake hose (to simplify adding antifreeze to that part of the cooling
system for winterization) some years ago. Should that work?