[C320-list] Oil change on the hard

Rick Sulewski rsulewski at bex.net
Tue Oct 18 20:15:18 PDT 2011

Bob,

Given the hassle and the greater risks associated with running water to an
engine for a sufficient length of time to reach the operating temperature,
you have two choices: 1) wait till the spring launch to change the oil; or,
2) simply allow the oil to drain into one quart containers placed in the
engine's confined bilge, and then leave a container to collect the slowest
drips for the remaining oil for a couple of hours.

I have been caught by surprise with a weather change twice over the last 16
seasons that prevented me from changing the oil before haul out; one year I
waited until spring to change the oil and another year I drained the oil
while on the hard, without warming up the engine. No evidence of problems or
sludge either way.

If you go with option #2 and you also change out the oil filter you will be
fine having removed something like more than 98% of the old oil with its
contaminants since almost all of oil is going to pretty much drain into the
crankcase anyway while it was hot. Having hot oil before an oil change just
ensures that you are getting more of that last 1% of the contaminants that
remain suspended in the hot oil, while there will always be some old oil
with contaminants left in the bottom of the oil pan that may not be accessed
because of the engine's tilted position relative to the hull. How much risk
and hassle is worth going after less than 1% difference between a hot oil
change and a cold oil change given the low engine hours we run in a single
season?

Rick
My-Ria #277

PS I have always used Mobil 1 synthetic oil and will be moving to Mobil 1
extended service next fall in the event at the end of a following year I
find myself having to haul out before I can change the oil. That way I could
even consider a second season from the extended service synthetic oil with a
new oil filter if I am running low hours each season.