[C320-list] C320-list Digest, Vol 1254, Issue 2

Jeff Hare catalina at thehares.com
Wed Oct 19 13:03:13 PDT 2011

Yes, it's on the side ... but... I replaced the vent with a more suitable vent that can be easily flushed out.

The stock vent is actually a fuel/water tank vent and, in my opinion, isn't suitable for a holding tank for at least these reasons:

1. The tank vent hose must be reduced down quite a bit to fit the vent.
2. It's a sealed unit with screens such that heeling the boat with a full holding tank or overfilling the tank can clog it and make it difficult to clear.
3. It doesn't let the tank breath well and contributes to a smelly system.

Jeff - you note that you flush your vent tube from 'on deck'. My holding tank vent is on the side of the hull below the rub rail (penetrates the hull behind and above my medicine cabinet) Is your similarly located and do you just reach over the side while on deck and spray water into the vent fitting? Alan Hull 67 Holland MI