[C320-list] hose barbs

Pat Ireland cherie320 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 08:40:58 PDT 2011

Bill

If the hose and barbs are the same size - 3/4 inch, the tapered end of the
barb should fit inside the end of the tube.  Heating should soften the tube
so it will expand over the larger diameter of the barbs.  Quality hose will
be stiffer and require more force to engage the barbed fitting, but it
should be possible to assemble.

Suggestion 1 - test assemble or pre-assemble to verify fit.  Sometimes a
tight space does not allow sufficient leverage to allow high force
assembly.
Suggestion 2 - threaded fittings are easier to assemble in tight spaces if
twisting force is possibloe and linear force application is limited.  You
may need to assemble the barbed fitting to the hose, unscrew the threaded
fitting and install by threading the fitting back on the component with the
hose in place on the fitting.  Not all applications allow this approach, but
it can be an alternate solution.  Caution.  I used this approach on a toilet
install where the fitting was a flange mount.  A bolt can place significant
load on a flange.  If the flange is plastic it may break if care is not
exercised in the act of tightening the bolts.

Suggestion 3 - Keep on trying.  Sometimes we just give up too soon.  Caution
- don't slip and cut yourself on any sharp edges.

Suggestion 4 - search the forum - I thought someone used a heat gun to
soften the white hose.  They said you had to be careful not to damage other
parts, but were able to make the connection.  I thought it was the install
of the 1-1/2 waste hose, but really don't remember, so the disclaimer is
appropriate - YMMV.

Good luck - Pat, 801