[C320-list] Electrical Problem

Robert Seastream robert.seastream at comcast.net
Sat Oct 22 08:23:04 PDT 2011

Did the mechanic 'load test' your batteries or simply check them with
a voltmeter?  Voltmeters can't show current delivering capacity.  Four
year old batteries should be OK, unless they were in a chronic
'undercharged' state.  This can happen if (like me) you're on a
mooring during the season without access to shore power and must rely
on the stock alternator to charge the batteries during (usually short)
motoring periods.  The stock alternator is rated for 55 amps and
delivers about half that once derating for engine heat is considered.
I replaced mine with one rated for 125 amps.  It charges my batteries
from 25-50% to full charge in ~2 hours; much faster than the 4+ it
used to take.  I also have a Honda EU2000i generator should the need
arise.  We bought our 2002 in November 2005; I replaced the batteries
in April 2008 to give us a known baseline.

Bob Seastream
Intuition # 906