[C320-list] Jib Halyard

Denny Browne dennybrowne at verizon.net
Tue Oct 25 06:33:52 PDT 2011

I like vectran core line for a genoa halyard. No stretch, but considerably
more expensive than polyester double braid. You can downsize the much
stronger vectran to 5/16 or 8mm and strip the cover off the part that's in
the mast pretty easily, for weight saving. Be careful not to let the shackle
slip out of your hand, though, if you strip the cover. The heavier covered
part may pull the untended shackle straight to the top of the mast. Also,
vectran is considerably stronger than the luff rope, so if you store the
sail on the furler, let a little tension off the halyard when finished for
the day to extend sail life. C320 spec calls for 115' of line, plus room for
the splice.

Denny Browne
A Cappella #935
Redondo Beach