[C320-list] Electrical Problem

Joseph Aberdale summerwind3 at comcast.net
Fri Oct 28 17:44:46 PDT 2011

My thanks to all for your helpful comments.

The battery, battery switch connections and starter connections were
fine.  A battery load test showed that the batteries were fully
charged. Still, the engine would only weakly turn over, not enough to
start it.  I removed the starter and had it bench tested.  It was
drawing 180 amps.  Taking it apart revealed that one of the three
brushes was completely destroyed and a second brush was almost
destroyed. I checked with my Yanmar dealer and learned that a new
Hitachi starter [original equipment] would cost me $359.  The auto
electric mechanic who tested my starter sold me the exact same
starter for $150 and commented that the difference in price was due
to the "marine" label put on it by the Yanmar dealer. A lesson learned.

Joe Aberdale