[C320-list] fin vs. wing keel

Andrew Santangelo andrew_santangelo at mac.com
Sat Oct 29 08:41:52 PDT 2011

Lou,

I have seen two wing keels auger into the mud on Lake Macatawa in Michigan (one with sails flying).  One boat seemed to panic and got stuck further; it needed a power boat to get them out.  I never ran aground with the wing, but then again I made it a point to keep away from shallow water.  Of course there are other options with a wing in areas where you can use the tide to your advantage.  Just do not run aground during high tide.

The one time I did run around with the fin. I had my crew lean to the side to heal the boat to change the effective draft; we floated and backed out.

Best Regards,
Andrew

C320
"Dawn Treader"