[C320-list] fin vs. wing keel

Gary Magnuson gary.magnuson at frontier.com
Sat Oct 29 22:43:21 PDT 2011

Dear Gene,
Having gone through the same thought process, I think the issue depends
on the conditions you face where you plan to sail,  On Lake Superior, in
the Apostle Islands, our bottom is sand and rock, with deep safe water
within easy reach of islands shore. The fin vs Wing is often a
discussion at 5:00 on the dock boxes, and it is generally accepted that
when you go aground on a sand bar, the fin keel will allow a kedge off
more readily than wing.   The wing will encourage you to get in closer
to shore before dropping the hook for the night, but also may allow a
harder grounding problem to solve.   If you have a lot of shallow water
in your area where depth is a constant issue, the wing is the way to
go.  I bought the fin and have been extremely happy on my 1995 320.
While on her delivery trip from Whitehall Michigan to Bayfield, WI in
2007, the Lakes were low, and there were two harbors that we had to
bypass because of draft, and a couple of places where the fuel pump hose
was extended full length, due to depth issues, but I am still happy with
my choice of the fin Keel.  Each October, during the Venetian parade, it
is fun to hear the crowd cheer, when I spin her 360 in her own length.
We also had a bumpy crossing to Grand Marais, MN this summer with 25 to
35 knot's of wind and following seas on the port quarter.  I realized
one disadvantage of the very quick response of a fin keel, as I fought
the helm trying to hold a steady course, but I don't know if the wing
configuration would have tracked better or the same.  I think the full
keel boats track straighter.  I think your best advice is to search the
local knowledge, and sift it for the issues you consider critical.

Good luck,
Gary
320#205
Time A Weigh