[C320-list] Catalina 320 discontinued

Jon Vez jonvez at comcast.net
Fri Sep 16 14:59:57 PDT 2011

Having owned my 320 for 12 years and having our first season (almost) under
our belt with the 355 I think I can provide some comparison as far as
sailing.

But first, my thoughts on Catalina's new line up. I believe they made this
decision to stay in business. I also know that GD has told people that they
will build any of their molds at a potential owners request. I think the
build quality is improved by focusing on fewer models and I do believe the
320 will increase in resale for a period of time.

Given the long waterline, lower freeboard and a beam that is not extreme
relative to length (3" wider than the 320), this boat is fast, stable and
very well behaved in breeze. We have not been able to get the boat to round
up in 22+ knots with all sail up. She sits on the quarter and goes. I had 12
seasons to get very familiar with how to sail the 320 well and it was one of
the best sailing boats I have sailed (save true racers). However, the 355 is
definitely a faster boat on all points of sail and is quite a bit more
comfortable in big winds. As you all know, crew/helmsperson experience is
the real variable here.

FWIW--my builders certificate states it's 34'6", but my marina is okay with
charging me the 35 :)

Regards,

Jon Vez
Solstice 320 #582