[C320-list] Leaking Portholes

hcreech at comcast.net hcreech at comcast.net
Mon Sep 19 09:13:42 PDT 2011

Walt,

With Jon Vez's help I finished the repair to my portlights. They no longer leak and the job was much easier than I expected. One of the things I did during this process, which turned out to be unnecessary, was to take the inside half off just to look at the anatomy. The bomar tape, which I had previously purchased to fix leaks on the V-berth hatch is located inside the outside half of the portlight glued to the outside fiberglass, then when the outside hatch is tightened down it creates a water tight seal between the outside cover and the boat. At Jon's suggestion I did not touch this, I just re-caulked the outside upper half and gap after removing the old caulk with a dental pick. As I mentiond this was far easier than expected and now the 4 saloon portlights do not leak. None of the rest on the boat leak which I suppose is because they are on 90 degree angles while the saloon portlights are on a slight decline.

Herb Creech
Cloud Chaser 606