[C320-list] Frozen Boom Outhaul Sheaves

Irving Grunes igrunes at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 12:48:32 PDT 2012

All and Thanks Karl for the reference.

The following email I have sent to my sailing partners is a gleaning from
the many  references on this subject.

Guys,
This is a collection of answers re the frozen sheaves at the outbourd end
of the boom.
It may apply to all of the sheaves on the mast and boom
Hopefully it will only be the end boom sheave that is frozen.

The scheme of wrapping the line around the sheave and twisting it tight
might be the first best approach
and the second would be to remove the boom endcap and sand the sheaves.

Also take a good look at the Charleston spa manual referenced below.

Tom. go to page 13 of the Charleston Spar Manual PDF noted below.

I was not correct about the reeving of the outhaul line.
>From the page 13 view, its the No 2 block that is fixed at the inboard end
of the boom and
the outhaul line is connected to the shackle of the floating block giving a
3:1 purchase to the outhaul.

Irv
=================================

1.  You really must have* sheaves* that turn at the end of the* boom* or you
are going to have trouble putting in a full reef with proper tension.
I'm not sure why yours don't turn.  You probably need to remove the pin
that holds the* sheaves* in place and then try to clean and free up
things.  The mast /* boom* manual on the web site might be helpful.  Look
here:

http://www.catalina320.com/filemgmt_data/files/Catalina320_Standard_Mast.pdf

The* boom* end fitting is pictured on page 14.

Any white grease will work even sail kote, less is better if you use
grease. However make sure the* sheaves* are not binding on the* boom* as
mine are. You may be aware (at least on my boat) the the entire sheave assy
will slip out of the* boom* if there are no lines on it. My sheave assy
goes too far into the* boom* and the* sheaves* bind on it. Haven't come up
with a fix yet, something to keep the sheave axle from sliding too far into
the end of the* boom*??
Cheers
JohnM
#574 1999

I removed mine last Spring but it was quite a struggle. I sprayed lubricant
(Sail lube I think) and tied a very short line around one of the edge
*sheaves* to make a small circle around it. I then inserted a small bar (a
rachet handle), twisted it to tighten the loop, and used it as lever. I did
the same to the sheave on the other side and worked alternately for a while
on each side. It took probably about an hour but they came loose. Once I got
even a tiny bit of movement it went much easier.

Note: they have already frozen again!

Mike

I have solved this problem. I didn't realize that the* sheaves* and axle
come out the end of the* boom*, just need to remove any lines and the
entire assembly slides aft. Not sure what is going on here but two of
the*sheaves
* were binding on the sides of the assembly, I sanded the* sheaves* down so
that they were thin enough to rotate. You don't need to remove much
material. Probably not needed but I applied a thin film of PTFE grease to
the ss axle.
Cheers
JohnM