[C320-list] Holding Tank Vent

Jeff Hare Catalina at thehares.com
Mon Apr 16 14:49:16 PDT 2012

I know everyone has their recommendations, but I would certainly not replace
the vent with the same old fuel/water type tank vent after having both. I'd
suggest using a mushroom type through-hull something like this:

3/4" Marelon Mushroom Head, 2-1/4"L    WM#: 209460  ForeSpar#: 906024

I didn't use one with an L on it, rather I just shortened it enough to make
the bend in the hose work in the space I had.  The white plastic 3/4" hose
is so stiff  it won't kink.  If you can find a 3/4" white mushroom fitting
with an "L" barb end, that would be perfect but I couldn't find a white
forespar one.

If you replace it with one of the fuel vents (made for a 5/8" hose), it will
allow air in/out but won't ventilate the tank like you really need done, so
that's work done that probably won't solve the odor problem.  Unfortunately,
the factory just didn't use the right parts here and replacing them with new
parts won't cut it.  Don't forget to replace the vent hose to the tank.
This is really important!  If you rub your fingers on the outside of the
hoses and smell them, you'll understand.

-Jeff

PS:  The aft cabin closet still smells like aromatic cedar now after a light
sanding back when I did this project.