[C320-list] raising main

fred.lecuyer@live.com fred.lecuyer at live.com
Mon Apr 30 16:34:17 PDT 2012

I'll try that this year.

Sent from my HTC Inspire™ 4G on AT&T

----- Reply message -----
From: "Jeff Hare" <catalina at thehares.com>
To: "C320-List at Catalina320.com" <C320-List at Catalina320.com>
Subject: [C320-list] raising main
Date: Mon, Apr 30, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi Fred,

Most likely the track is just dirty.  The trick I use is to fill a small squirt bottle with a mixture of warm water and dawn dish soap.  I use about 20 percent soap so that it is really slippery.

When raising the main have someone squirt it in the track where the sail is sliding by.

The soap washes out with rain over the summer.  The other solution is to use SailKote and squirt it in the track the same way.  I've used both methods over the years and only use soap now since there was no noticeable difference in the results between the two and soap is much cheaper.

When I do this, there is NO problem fully raising the main by hand without winches.  When I forget, it is much much harder to snug it up the last several feet and I cop out and use a winch.

Jeff