[C320-list] Golf Cart Batteries Commentary

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Fri Aug 10 17:40:27 PDT 2012

It's interesting when the golf cart battery thing comes up a few times a year. Why don't any sailboat manufacturers spec them in their boats?  Is there a conspiracy or do the designers know something that escapes me?

I have been in many places around the world and 12v batteries seem to be in most of the vehicles.  A commie government run country like Cuba is big on 12v DC for all their 57 Chevys.  There is water around Cuba so maybe there are a lot of 6v based electricals on the boats the folks use to escape the commies.  Probably a good spot for 6v golf cart battery business if Raul will let you.

If folks calculate that those 6v golf cart batteries have more capacity, then why not use 12v golf cart batteries and save on the series hook up to get 12v?  I see 12v golf cart batteries a lot on battery sites.

Bob Sloat
S/V Savannah 894 (2002)