[C320-list] One Sail in High winds

Christopher Nichols cinichols at btinternet.com
Wed Aug 1 08:18:00 PDT 2012

I hate making any holes in a boat so tried to adapt to what is already there.

For single handing I find I have reasonable control standing in front of the wheel so reaching winches is not an issue. In thin water and challenging navigation I just peak round to see the chart plotter and instruments occasionally.

For tacks I engage autopilot, drop the mail down the track, load the windward winch, take leward one out of self tail and holding the sheet hit +1and +10 simultaneously on the autopilot causing the boat to tack (or -1, -10 as appropriate). Release the leeward sheet and heave on the new one.
The double button tap makes the auto helm turn about 90 degrees pretty smartly.

For reefing the main similarly, with the genoa about 20pct furled, engage autopilot when close hauled, drop the main to the Leeward side of the track. Ensure Dutchman line is in the jammer at the end of the boom.
Release mainsheet and ease the vang.
Drop main halyard about 5 feet and take up slack on the reefing line. As the tension comes on the reefing line I put this in the self tailing and winch it with one arm while continuing to ease the main halyard as necessary with the other. Take up on the main halyard and reset track, mainsheet and vang. Job done.
This seems to work without flogging the main too much because the genoa acts as a back wind cushion. Might not work as well with the genoa more fully furled so pays to do this relatively early, say about 20 to 22 knots ie for me when I'd otherwise (fully crewed) reduce genoa further so my mainsheetman could drive us through lulls.

Boat speed falls to 2 or 3 kts during the process  ie needs to be enough for the auto helm to maintain direction. So do not aim too high initially when setting the autohelm.

Fair winds

Chris Nichols
C320 Amanda Rose, 476