[C320-list] One Sail in High winds

resloat resloat at comcast.net
Wed Aug 1 12:19:09 PDT 2012

Art-I have not moved any winches.  I have to go to the front of the cockpit
to change main sheet tension and any halyard tensions.  I was thinking of
putting a cleat on the mast for the spinnaker halyard as lowering it can be
a challange solo since you have to pull the asymmetric halyard throuugh the
clutch under the dodger and it sometimes get stuck.  That is not good solo
on a take down.  Going up can be done from the cockpit once everything is
set.

On my hull 894 (2002) all the halyards run back to clutches on the cabin top
under the dodger.  For your hull are there holes for mast turning blocks at
the base of the mast and deck organizer blocks under the traveler track?  If
so, it is like mine.  Maybe there was a design change between our hulls.

A furling genoa came as standard equipment, so the only practical way to
deal with high winds is to furl the genoa in.  It has pre-marked positions
and foam padding so you get decent, but not perfect, sail shape when furled.
The main has a single line reefing set up that came standard.  A second reef
is possible, but you need to haul out some hardware.  I use the second reef
only in a emergency and it has not be used for a few seasons.

Bottom line is that I treat my wife very nicely and do most everything she
wants in exchange for going sailing with me occasionally.  I like solo, but
it really is more fun with a few folks who can help even if a little.

Bob Sloat
S/V Savannah 894 (2002)