[C320-list] derigging for transport

Utility Email kswanson123 at comcast.net
Thu Aug 2 19:11:45 PDT 2012

David,

I would defer to your rigger for professional advice.

However, when the rigger derigged mine when we shipped her from San Diego to Seattle a couple of years ago, the roller furling was left attached at the head of the mast and the entire assembly was wrapped in bubble wrap and carpeting with plastic sheeting and plastic wrap around the entire outside of the assembly.  Both the furler and the mast were independently wrapped first and protected from one another before they were wrapped as an assembly to avoid damage fron road vibration chafe during transport.  Each of the shrouds were carefully marked and removed and coiled for transport.  The roller furling seems fragile to me and having it wrapped and packaged along side the stiffer mast seemed like a good way to go.  It is remarkable how flexible the mast is when being picked by the crane and moved by a series of forklifts to horses in the yard. My mast is a furling Selden.

Congratulations on your new C320 and good luck on your move.  The best advice that I rexeived when we moved our boat was:  "No one will package a boat for transport better than the boat's owner."  You will love your new boat.

Dave

David B. Swanson, P.E., S.E.
Principal, LEED AP
Director, Structural Group